Skip to main content

Parent Concerns

What to do if you have a concern?

We recognize the importance of working collaboratively with our parent community to create an open, safe and caring environment. If you have a concern that you wish to bring to our attention, we ask that you familiarize yourself with our Dispute Resolution Protocol. This will ensure that your concern receives an appropriate response and hopefully, a quick resolution.

Dispute Resolution


The Division supports the right of parents and members of the public to make inquiries into the conduct of operations of the Division. In the interests of open communication, the Superintendent believes inquiries must first be directed to the staff members most directly involved in the operations in question. If the parents or members of the public are not satisfied with the response at that level, they are to be encouraged to follow the channels of communication as appropriate.


  1. In making a formal inquiry, the individual must be prepared to address their concern in person or in writing to the person or persons involved.
  2. Normally complaints concerning operations can be resolved with the parties involved. On occasion, the Superintendent or a trustee may receive a request to intervene in school or department affairs. In this event the complaint will be resolved according to the following:
    • The Superintendent or Senior Administration Liaison will, as appropriate in the circumstance, refer a complaint or request for intervention to the school or department, engage in mediation, or conduct an inquiry.
    • The Superintendent will ensure, in cooperation with schools and departments, that parents or members of the public are provided with the opportunity to express their complaints and be heard fairly by school-based and/or Division administrators.
    • The trustee, as per Board Policy 3, Role of the Trustee, upon receiving an inquiry will inform the Superintendent of the complaint. The complaint will then be dealt with as outlined above.
  3. Upon receiving an inquiry, the Superintendent or Senior Administration Liaison will ascertain if all local avenues for resolution have been considered. If not, the individual will be advised to do so as the first means of achieving resolution.
  4. If the individual feels their concern has not been adequately addressed by the person against whom the complaint has been lodged, the concerns are to be taken to that person’s immediate supervisor.
  5. If all local avenues have been exhausted, the Superintendent or Senior Administration Liaison will meet with the individual and school-based administrators in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Denise Skelding, Administrative Assistant – Student Services

Phone: 403-342-3703

image description
Back to top